Economic Development

Businesses that relocate or expand to Nevada are often amazed by how easy it is to start up and operate their enterprises.  Nevada is a business-friendly state, with government officials committed to streamlining approval processes and maintaining a low-regulation business environment.  Nevada offers affordable, large-scale commercial real estate with easy access to logistics, flexibile and competitive utility rates, and low workers' compensation rates in a right-to-work state.

Source: Nevada Governor's Office of Economic Development


Business License

A business license is needed for each person, corporation, partnership, proprietorship, business association and any other similar organization that conducts an activity for profit, including an independent contractor or sole proprietor. A trade show or convention held in this state in which a business previously described takes part, or in which a person who conducts such a business attends, for a purpose related to the conduct of the business also needs a business license. Detailed information on the business license application process may be obtained at the Department of Taxation web page. You may obtain an application form from the Nevada Department of Taxation office nearest you, or you may click on Nevada Department of Taxation below to locate and download forms.

Nevada Department of Taxation

Carson City Office
1550 College Parkway, Ste. 115
Carson City, NV 89706
Phone: 775.684.2000
Fax: 775.684.2020
Reno Office
4600 Kietzke Lane, Bldg. L, Suite 235
Reno, NV 89502
Phone: 775.688.9999
Fax: 775.688.1303
Las Vegas Office
Grant Sawyer Office Building
555 E. Washington Ave., Suite 1300
Las Vegas, NV 89101
Phone: 702.486.2300
Fax: 702.486.2373
Henderson Office
2550 Paseo Verde, Ste. 180
Henderson, NV 89074

Local Business License Offices

A local business license is required to operate a business in nearly all cities, most counties, and many other locations. This is in addition to the State Business License. Please contact the appropriate business license office to determine the specific licensing requirements.

Nevada Business License - Secretary of State
Capital Building
101 N. Carson St., Ste. 3
Carson City, NV 89701
Phone: 775.684.5708

Carson Business License Division
108 E. Proctor Street
Carson City, NV 89701
Phone: 775.887.2105
Fax: 775.887.2202
Churchill County Business License
155 N. Taylor St., Ste. 194
Fallon, NV 89406
Phone: 775.423.7627
Fax: 775.428.0259
Clark County Business License
500 S. Grand Central Pkwy., 3rd Floor, Box 551810
Las Vegas, NV 89155-1810
Phone: 702.455.4252
Fax: 702.386.2168
Humboldt County Business License
50 W. 5th St., Room 207
Winnemucca, NV 89445
Phone: 775.623.6333
Lander County Business License
315 South Humboldt St.
Battle Mountain, NV 89820
Phone: 775.635.2860
Lincoln County Business License
181 North Main St., Ste. 111
P.O. Box 329
Pioche, NV 89043
Phone: 775.962.5165
Fax: 775.962.5877
Lyon County Business License
27 S. Main St.
Yerington, NV 89447
Phone: 775.463.6501
Fax: 775.463.5305
Mineral County Business License
105 S. A St.
Hawthorne, NV 89415
Phone: 775.945.2446
Fax: 775.945.0706
Nye County Business License
250 N. Hwy 160, Ste. 1
Pahrump, NV 89060
Phone: 775.482.8191
Storey County Business License
110 Toll Road (Gold Hill Divid)
Virginia City, NV 89440
Phone: 775.847.0966
Fax: 775.847.0935
Washoe County Business License
1001 E. Ninth St., Bldg. A, 2nd Floor
Reno, NV 89512
Phone: 775.328.3733
Fax: 775.328.6133

City of Elko Business License
City Hall, Elko City
1751 College Ave
Elko, NV 89801
Phone: 775.777.7138

City of Las Vegas Business License
Planning Department
333 N. Rancho Dr.
Las Vegas, NV 89106
Phone: 702.229.6281
Fax: 702.382.6642
City of Laughlin Business License
Phone: 702.455.3233
City of Lovelock Business License
400 14th St.
Lovelock, NV 89419
Phone: 775.273.2356
City of North Las Vegas Business License
2250 Las Vegas Blvd North
North Las Vegas, NV 89030
Phone: 702.633.1520
Fax: 702.399.8099

City of Reno Business License
Reno City Hall - Business License Division
1 East First St., 2nd Floor
Reno, NV 89505
Phone: 775.334.2090
Fax: 775.334.6336

City of Sparks Business License
Sparks City Hall
431 Prater Way
Sparks, NV 89431
Phone: 775.353.2360
Fax: 775.353.7802
City of Winnemucca Business License
90 W. 4th St.
Winnemucca, NV 89445
Phone: 775.623.6333

Return to TopEmployer Identification Number

Every partnership or corporation must have an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to use as its taxpayer number. Sole proprietors must also have an EIN if they pay wages to one or more employees or if they are required to file any excise tax returns.

Internal Revenue Service Employer Identification Number

Reno Office (Northern Nevada)
200 S. Virginia St.
Reno, NV 89501
Phone: 775.824.2218
Las Vegas Office (Southern Nevada)
110 City Parkway
Las Vegas, NV 89106
Phone: 702.868.5005

Return to TopBusiness Personal Property Declaration Form

Nevada tax laws require all persons, firms, or businesses owning, renting, leasing, or controlling business personal property to file a Business Personal Property Declaration Form. Please contact your city or county government office for more information.

Return to TopDisability Insurance

Nevada does not mandate disability insurance.

Return to TopWorkman's Compensation Insurance

Every business that employs anyone must by law, obtain workers compensation insurance coverage unless that entity is certified by the Commissioner of Insurance as a self-insured employer.

State of Nevada Department of Business and Industry Division of Insurance

Carson City Office (Northern Nevada)
788 Fairview Dr., Ste. 300
Carson City, NV 89702
Phone: 775.687.4270
Henderson Office (Southern Nevada)
1301 North Green Valley Pkwy., Ste. 200
Henderson, NV 89074

Return to TopUnemployment Compensation Program

Any business that employs one or more workers is an "employing unit" and must register with the Nevada Unemployment Compensation Program. Registration is made by submitting a Nevada Business Registration Form to the employment security division as soon as workers are hired.

Employment Security Division
500 East Third Street
Carson City, NV 89713

Return to TopI-9 Forms for New Employees

Every employer is required, within 72 hours of hiring a new employee, to maintain a completed, signed, witnessed, and dated I-9 Form for each employee.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Reno Office (Northern Nevada)
790 Sandhill Rd.
Reno, NV 89521
Las Vegas Office (Southern Nevada)
5650 West Badura Ave., Ste. 100
Las Vegas, NV 89118

Return to TopW-4 Forms

Every employee hired is to complete a W-4 Form so that the employer can withhold the proper amount of income tax from each paycheck. Any change in the employee's tax status requires a new form.

Internal Revenue Service

Reno Office (Northern Nevada)
200 S. Virginia St.
Reno, NV 89501
Phone: 775.824.2218
Las Vegas Office (Southern Nevada)
110 City Parkway
Las Vegas, NV 89106
Phone: 702.868.5005

Return to TopLabor Statutes

All employers must comply with Nevada's Labor Statutes and must post a sign explaining these laws at the place of business.

State Labor Commission

Carson City Office (Northern Nevada)
675 Fairview Dr., Ste. 226
Carson City, NV 89701
Phone: 775.687.4850
Las Vegas Office (Southern Nevada)
555 E. Washington Ave., Ste. 4100
Las Vegas, NV 89101

Corporation, Limited Liability Company (LLC), Limited Partnership (LP), Non-Profit Corporation/Association, Return to TopBusiness Trust

Businesses interested in incorporating, along with non-Nevada businesses seeking permission to do business in Nevada, should register with the Secretary of State's Office. The Secretary of State's office handles commercial recordings (incorporation), securities, notaries, and election information.

Secretary of State
Capital Building
101 N. Carson St., Suite 3
Carson City, NV 89701
Phone: 775.687.5203
Fax: 775.687.3471

Return to TopZoning Ordinances

The applicable city or county zoning ordinances should be checked to ensure that the desired location is zoned for the proposed type of business before buying or leasing property. For home-based businesses, please verify if a Home Occupation Permit will be required.

Carson City
Phone: 775.887.2180
Churchill County
Phone: 775.423.7627
Clark County
Comprehensive Planning Department
500 S. Grand Central Pkwy.
Las Vegas, NV 89106
Phone: 702.455.4314
City of Las Vegas
333 N. Rancho Dr.
Las Vegas, NV 89106
Phone: 702.229.6301
City of North Las Vegas
2250 Las Vegas Blvd North
North Las Vegas, NV 89030
Phone: 702.633.1537
Douglas County
Planning Division
1594 Esmeralda Ave.
Minden, NV 89423
Phone: 775.782.6217
Elko County
571 Idaho St.
Elko, NV 89801
Phone: 775.738.6816
Eureka County
Planning Commission
P.O. Box 596
Eureka, NV 89316
Phone: 775.237.6128
Humboldt County
Planning Department
50 W. 5th St.
Winnemucca, NV 89445
Phone: 775.623.6392
Lander County
Planning Department
825 N. Second St.
Battle Mountain, NV
Phone: 775.635.2860
Nye County
101 Radar Rd.
Tonopah, NV 89049
Phone: 775.482.8191
Pershing County
County Administration Building
398 Main St.
Lovelock, NV 89419
Phone: 775.273.2700
Storey County
26 South B St.
Virginia City, NV 89440
Phone: 775.847.1144
Washoe County
Planning & Development Division
1001 E. Ninth St.
Reno, NV 89512
Phone: 775.328.6100
City of Reno
Reno City Hall
One East First St., Second Floor
Reno, NV 89501
Phone: 775.334.2063
City of Sparks
Phone: 775.353.2340

Return to TopUsing a Fictitious Name

A fictitious name/dba certificate is required for all businesses that plan to use a name different than their legal or corporate name. It is best to check with the County Clerk's office where your business is located to determine if the fictitious name desired is available.

Return to TopEnvironmental Information

Nevada Division of Environmental Protection

Nevada welcomes your business and you will find that our agencies are very receptive in assisting you with the new business, however, please be aware that you may need various environmental permits and or regulatory approvals (depending upon the nature and location of your business). View the Guide to Environmental Permits for New Business for more information.