2017 PURPA / Qualifying Facility Request for Proposals
In response to a requirement from the Public Utilities Commission of Nevada, NV Energy is seeking proposals to secure 25 megawatts of Federal Energy Regulatory Commission-defined “qualifying facility” resources in southern Nevada and 25 megawatts of such qualifying facilities in northern Nevada.
Qualifying facilities are defined as generating resources that align with the provisions of the Public Utility Regulatory Policies Act (PURPA) of 1978, which was passed to encourage the conservation of electric energy, to increase efficiency in the use of facilities and resources by electric utilities, and to provide equitable retail rates for electric consumers. Qualifying generating resources can be generating facilities of 80 megawatts or less that use renewable resources as the primary energy source or facilities that sequentially produce electricity and another form of useful thermal energy such as heat or steam.
The two resulting long-term bids (one for northern Nevada and one for southern Nevada) are expected to be for 25 years. All qualifying facilities are required to be in Nevada.
NV Energy reserves the right to supplement, amend, cancel or otherwise modify this Request for Proposals with or without the substitution of another RFP.
Steps to Complete
- Complete the Bidder's Contact Information Form *
- Register with PowerAdvocate for this RFP Event
- Login to PowerAdvocate
- Fully complete the bid package and submit in PowerAdvocate
* Form not required if previously submitted on or after May 4, 2017
RFP Schedule (subject to change):
The schedule for the 2017 PURPA/Qualifying Facilities RFP is as follows and is subject to change:
- June 14, 2017 - Issue 2017 PURPA/Qualifying Facilities RFP
- July 6, 2017 - Bids due
- August 10, 2017 - Initial Short List determined
- August 15, 2017 - Best and Final pricing due
- August 31, 2017 - Final Short-List determined
- August 31, 2017 to October 19, 2017 - Contract negotiations
- October 19, 2017 - Execution of Contracts
- November 16, 2017 - Submit to PUCN for review and approval
- May 15, 2018 - Anticipated time of PUCN approval (up to 180 days)
- December 31, 2020 - Expected Commercial Operation Date
RFP Response Platform
NV Energy will be asking responders to use PowerAdvocate to submit responses to this RFP. PowerAdvocate enables online collaboration, identifies product requirements, and can engage respondents through interactive electronic requests for information, requests for quotes and requests for proposals. Anyone unfamiliar with PowerAdvocate is encouraged to read the Supplier's Quick Guide or review the PowerAdvocate Frequently Asked Questions